Natalie recently returned from a visit to L’ecole Primaire de Point E in Dakar, and had nothing but great things to report when she got a back. As the school takes a larger role in the school lunch program, we grow very close to our ultimate goal of creating a project that is self-sustaining (and 100% supported by income-generating projects developed by the school.) After some budget reviews, we realized we are only subsidizing the project with just over $400 per school year. This is a long way from the $8,000 that we invested the first year of the project! The iniatives that are helping the school in their quest for sustainability:
- The boutique that rents space from the building
- The restaurant that rents space from the building
- The school garden – sale of the vegetables to local vendors
- Participation fees from those students whose families can afford it
- Superior budget management from our Project Director, M. Sane, and the staff at the school
We hope to post some photos of Natalie’s latest visit soon!